New executive order seeks more budget cuts
SAN JUAN – Gov. Ricardo Rosselló announced Thursday that he is working on a new executive order that seeks to generate $27 million in annual savings by cutting 10% in budget items that hadn’t been previously identified.
“Today I will be asking my team to work on another executive order to specifically address that area…,” the governor said during a press conference in La Fortaleza.
He added that these are about “procurement contracts” that weren’t considered at the time of the first executive order, which implements spending cuts across all government agencies and that Rosselló said represent savings of more than $240 million in one year.
The governor also outlined the legislative agenda and the rest of the executive orders already presented by his administration, which he said address the fiscal crisis, economic development and social issues.
“In 72 hours, we have demonstrated that we didn’t come here” to mess around, Rosselló said.
Regarding his trip to Washington, D.C., the governor said he was able to meet with congressmen from both parties and had the opportunity “to demonstrate that within 24 hours of taking office, we had already taken a series of actions where Puerto Rico took leadership; [I] didn’t only go to the Congress to ask, but also to demonstrate I was going to take a series of actions.”
The governor said the reaction was positive from both the Democratic side as well as the Republican majority.