Puerto Rico fiscal board ‘devastated’ by Hurricane María’s impact
SAN JUAN – Puerto Rico’s fiscal control board said Wednesday it has offered its support to the recovery work carried out by the government after Hurricane María, saying it is prepared to help in whatever way possible.
“We are devastated by Hurricane María’s impact,” said Chairman José Carrión, who described the event as an “unprecedented natural disaster” with “catastrophic” losses to the island.
This is the second time the board expresses itself about the emergency that arose after the hurricane passed through Puerto Rico last week. Last Thursday, the entity authorized the reassignment of up to $1 billion of the island’s budget to cover expenses related to recovery work.
The board will be meeting later this week to discuss possible amendments to the fiscal plan it certified for the government, according to the Wall Street Journal.
“We are prepared to do everything in our authority to support rebuilding the island,” Carrión added in the statement, which does not mention any steps beyond the authorization to reallocate $1 billion in this fiscal year’s budget.
Hurricane María swept Puerto Rico last Wednesday, leaving thousands without homes, causing severe damage to infrastructure and leaving energy and telecommunications services collapsed. The government has reported 16 storm-related deaths to date.