Puerto Rico’s international airport resumes limited operations
SAN JUAN – Puerto Rico’s Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in Carolina resumed operations Friday, albeit to a very limited extent.
Also, the main seaports are now ready to receive ships with supplies; however, they still await the U.S. Coast Guard’s approval to open these points of entry to the island.
“We began to get six commercial flights–from New York, Atlanta, Miami and Philadelphia–at 8 a.m. International flights are expected to begin Monday,” La Fortaleza Chief of Staff William Villafañe said early Friday in a WKAQ 580 radio interview.
Muñoz Marín Airport reportedly will only operate until 5 p.m. Friday. Only ten outbound/inbound flights would be serviced until Sunday, to New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Orlando and Atlanta.
The international airport sustained damage to its structure due to Hurricane María and is still trying to re-establish full operations.
Hurricane María left Puerto Rico without power and communications, while the situation in several towns in the west, center and southeast is still unknown. More than a dozen deaths have been reported, including several people who have drowned due to severe flooding, according to several reports.
Gov. Ricardo Rosselló had already announced that military aircraft was arriving to provide assistance in recovery efforts, while FEMA was bringing power generators, among other supplies, to help restore communications.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo will fly to Puerto Rico on Friday with aid teams to assist the local government in the emergency.
As for the ports, the chief of staff explained that Coast Guard authorization for their use is expected either Friday or Saturday, “but we were told the pier should be ready [Friday] for the Conquistador cargo ship,” which was bringing supplies and other basic emergency items.