Puerto Rico governor reacts to mayor’s resignation
SAN JUAN – Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló said Monday evening that Guaynabo Mayor Héctor O’Neill‘s resignation was the correct step to take and he must now face “due process,” as he is being investigated by the local Department of Justice for alleged sexual harassment.
“The resignation of the mayor of Guaynabo, Héctor O’Neill, today [Monday], is the proper conduct and what we publicly requested as soon as the information on which he was referred to the Office of the Special Independent Prosecutor surfaced,” the governor said in a written statement.
Rosselló, who initially requested the mayor’s resignation on March 5, said his administration has yet to receive an official notice of O’Neill’s resignation, although Guaynabo’s Municipal Assembly confirmed the information.
Moreover, he said that now the mayor must face “due process of law,” and that the justice system must “proceed, as provided by the rule of law.”
“Trust in government institutions is strengthened when we act firmly in situations such as those imputed to the former mayor of Guaynabo,” Rosselló said.
After ruling over Guaynabo for 24 years, O’Neill resigned from his post, from which he had been suspended by the Office of the Special Independent Prosecutor’s Panel (OPFEI by its Spanish acronym), in light of a criminal investigation against him.