Bacardi Diverts Global Production to Increase Hand Sanitizer Supply
Its Brands Help Produce Over 267,000 Gallons in U.S., France, UK and Mexico
SAN JUAN — Bacardi Limited, the largest privately held spirits company, has expanded its efforts to help produce more than 267,000 gallons (1.1 million liters) of hand sanitizers, as worldwide demand continues to exceed supply in efforts to reduce the risk of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
This week, eight Bacardi-owned manufacturing sites across the United States, Mexico, France, England, Italy and Scotland are joining the efforts, following last week’s announcement that Bacardi in Puerto Rico would supply alcohol to make hand sanitizers.
The company is donating these products to local organizations and emergency responders, as well as its employees and contractors. In addition, the company is providing alcohol at cost to select partner companies looking to ramp up their production of hand sanitizers for commercial sale.
“These temporary, emergency actions at all locations will not disrupt the supply of brands in the Bacardi portfolio,” the company said in a release.
“Over our 158-year history, we have risen to many challenges and we are doing the same again in response to COVID-19,” said Jean-Marc Lambert, SVP Global Operations for Bacardi. “All our brands and partners involved in this initiative will help people most in need benefit from the supply of these hand sanitizers. Our goal is to make a very real difference in the fight against COVID-19.”
The current list of sites providing support either immediately or in the coming week are:
- BACARDÍ rum in Puerto Rico – partnered with Puerto Rico based manufacturer Olein Refinery to provide raw materials that will enable the production of more than 1.7 million units of 10-ounce (300 ml) hand sanitizers. Donated product to local USPS, firefighters, police and non-profit Somos Unidos (United Way);
- Bacardi Bottling Corporation in Jacksonville, FL, USA – is planning to help produce approximately 23,000 gallons (87,000 liters) to make 120,000 units of 25-ounce (750 ml) bottles hand sanitizer for donation to local hospitals, firefighters and police. In addition, the team will supply 7,600 gallons (29,000 liters) to nearby manufacturers.
- BACARDÍ rum in Tultitlán, Mexico – supplying more than 5,200 gallons (20,000 liters) of alcohol to nearby manufacturer, Grupo Sterk, to help increase production of hand sanitizer by approximately 6,300 gallons (24,000 liters), of which 2,100 gallons (8,000 liters) will be donated by Bacardi to local communities in Tultitlán, Arandas and Atotonilco;
- GREY GOOSE vodka in Cognac, France – will supply 7,600 gallons (29,000 liters) of alcohol per day to French companies to increase supply of hand sanitizers by 9,500 gallons (36,000 liters) for local pharmacies, hospitals and the emergency services;
- BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin in Hampshire, England – is helping to produce a small quantity of hand sanitizers that will be donated to local doctors, chemists and care homes;
- MARTINI in Pessione, Italy – is supplying alcohol for the production of 1,000 7-ounce (200ml) hand sanitizers for the local community, Red Cross and local emergency services;
- DEWAR’S Blended Scotch Whisky in Aberfeldy, Scotland – is helping to produce a small quantity of hand sanitizers for the Scottish Ambulance Association among other local community groups;
- ANGEL’S ENVY Kentucky Straight Bourbon in Louisville, KY, USA – is supplying nearly 1,000 gallons (3,800 liters) of alcohol to create approximately 16,000 8-ounce (250 ml) bottles of free hand sanitizers for first responders and healthcare professionals.