El San Juan Hotel to reopen Dec. 14
SAN JUAN – Puerto Rico’s El San Juan Hotel, which was slated to reopen Oct. 1, will officially do so Dec. 14 after having closed in September, in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.
The 388-room property’s restoration will be reflected in its rooms, beachfront villas, swimming pools and outdoor gardens, which combine a “modern tropical splendor” with the old-world elegance.
With a long history as one of the most widely regarded and award-winning hotels in the Caribbean, the restoration will be in keeping with the $65 million renovation that took place last year and include a revamp of the property’s interior.
The hotel lodged first responders and aid groups following the devastating hurricane, playing a major role in the island’s recovery.
Managed and operated by Two Roads Hospitality, the property is part of the Curio Collection by Hilton, a portfolio of hotels and resorts in a class selected for their characteristic personalities.
“Rooted in a timeless elegance, El San Juan Hotel will once again be the main luxury destination in Puerto Rico,” assured Craig Waterman, vice president of inaugurations & transitions for Two Roads Hospitality.
“Rich in history and with a natural style, the hotel has been at the heart of the island since its beginnings in 1958, and we are delighted to reopen with a rejuvenated appearance, prestigious services and authentic Puerto Rican hospitality. We are eager to welcome a new generation of guests, together with those who have made the hotel a tradition over the past 50 years,” he added.
With an evident taste for Puerto Rican art found throughout the property, both Two Roads Hospitality and the hotel owners are committed to maintaining El San Juan Hotel’s original look.
The reopening will feature several restored areas, including the famous ornamental hand-carved mahogany that covers the lobby ceilings, columns and domed arch over the registration area.
With the purpose of returning the hotel to its former splendor, all rooms will be renovated according to their classic style, blending historical and modern design.
Guests and visitors will witness a renewed appearance in all spaces, including the Chandelier Bar, the Grand and Gold Jr. ballrooms, Meat Market Miami Steakhouse and Caña by Juliana González restaurants, the Aquarelle space on the beach and at the pool, Well & Being Spa and the three-floor fitness center.
For more information, visit www.elsanjuanhotel.curiocollection.com.
“The reopening of El San Juan Hotel comes at a perfect time during Puerto Rico’s holiday season—which happens to be one of the longest in the world,” said Leah Chandler, chief marketing officer of the island’s destination marketing organization, Discover Puerto Rico. “Luxury offerings like El San Juan appeal strongly to leisure and business travelers who seek impeccable service, rich amenities and reimagined accommodations.”
The following was pulled from the announcing release:
About El San Juan Hotel’s Spaces:
Re-opening with newly refreshed guest rooms and suites, thoughtfully designed by Jeffrey Beers, El San Juan Hotel’s accommodations feature floor-to-ceiling windows, sensor-activated air conditioning, a large HDTV and complimentary WiFi. With 11 distinctive room categories, spanning ocean, city and pool facing guestrooms, suites, pool and ocean villas and two specialty suites, guests can choose from a collection of scenic accommodations.
Restaurant and Bar Experiences
El San Juan Hotel features live entertainment and creative mixology, fashioning a refreshing ambiance that vibrates with excitement:
- Chandelier Bar: Perfectly positioned beneath the exquisite main feature chandelier, Chandelier Bar is a staple of El San Juan Hotel’s nightlife and is the lobby’s center piece. It offers perennial favorites along with signature cocktails, bathing its patrons in the gleaming aura of its crystal Czechoslovakian centerpiece – which is also the third largest oval chandelier of its kind in the world. The unique piece of art weighs 4,000 pounds and has 185 lightbulbs and 7,000 pieces of glass. Chandelier Bar is legendary in Puerto Rico and strongly associated by locals with unforgettable moments spent at El San Juan.
- 1958: El San Juan’s rum bar, situated in the main lobby, pays homage to the hotel’s inaugural year and Puerto Rico’s national spirit, rum. The bar’s extensive rum collection of vintage spirits and elixirs can be enjoyed in specialty craft cocktails or neat.
- Wine Bar: Located beneath the seductive glow of an exceptional modern lighting sculpture in the lobby, Wine Bar offers an incomparable selection of wines by the glass, including excellent vintages from the most renowned vineyards along with more specialized varietals from artisan wineries.
- El Cafecito: Located in the lobby, El Cafecito features locally-roasted Alto Grande coffee, a daily offering of grab-and-go breakfast and lunch fare–from delicious baked breads, fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits, to sandwiches, salads and pastries.
- Caña by Juliana Gonzales: A local islander born and raised in Puerto Rico, who for the last 15 years has worked in and led some of the finest restaurants in Spain and Miami, Juliana Gonzales’ restaurant offers a new wave of socially and environmentally mindful ways of eating. Sourcing ingredients from local farmers, fishermen and small businesses, Caña by Juliana Gonzales is an original concept that bonds island tourists with Puerto Rico’s refined culinary heritage. The restaurant features a lively indoor space and lush outdoor terrace overlooking the pool. Outdoor bar and pool service will also be available.
- Meat Market: As a truly contemporary steakhouse boasting a sophisticated ambiance and sizzling with Miami and New York City style energy, Meat Market is a happening bar scene and features a pioneering menu with a variety of prime cuts of meat, exceptional seafood and other cutting-edge gastronomy. Meat Market also offers a variety of amazing sides, appetizers and a top-notch Wine Spectator award-winning wine list –all infused with an artful, contemporary spin.
Celebrations, Meetings and Entertainment
El San Juan Hotel is a place where locals, visitors, and groups gather for special events. Alive with energy and entertainment, the hotel brings people together to drink, dine and delight. From first-class entertainment to jovial celebrations and serene relaxation, the traditions that form El San Juan Hotel are infused in every experience.
- Meetings & Events Spaces: With nearly 40,000 square feet of space, including a newly redesigned 11,000 square-foot grand ballroom, the hotel is available for hosting a wide array of meetings, conferences, business events and social celebrations.
- BRAVA Nightclub: Combining the high-energy exhilaration of a nightclub with the immersive atmosphere of an upscale lounge, Club BRAVA is a hallmark of Puerto Rican nightlife. Recently redesigned by Mark Lehmkul, BRAVA, spanning two floors, combines elegant décor evoking a luxurious chandeliered library with cutting-edge lighting, sound and projection systems.
- Chico Cabaret: El San Juan Hotel’s secret hotspot, Chico Cabaret features captivating live cabaret entertainment and innovative cocktails in an alluringly intimate setting. Just off the main lobby, it is a vibrant local favorite and a unique discovery for in-house guests that offers an unparalleled VIP experience.
The hotel approaches wellness with a vigor that mimics the energy of the lobby. Guests can find active, energetic experiences at the pool or at the state of the art tri-level Well & Being Fitness Center. Well & Being provides expanded fitness services with robust offerings, including Pilates, vertical wall yoga, TRX and CrossFit, group cycle, and more. The center is surrounded by lush landscape and pool views and features an open air rooftop with punching bags and training equipment for workouts alfresco.