Global Market Square
The U.S. stock markets reacted positively to the announcement Monday of the third vaccine to fight the COVID-19 pandemic; some people say the third time is the charm. =
AstraZeneca announced its vaccine candidate had shown up to 90% effectiveness against Covid-19. Also, Regeneron received emergency use authorization in the U.S. for its antibody treatment; this is the same treatment used to treat President Donald Trump.
Investors continue to react to news of cases surging and working vaccines, as most continue a portfolio rotation to benefit from those stocks that were impacted by the pandemic.
As we approach the Thanksgiving holiday, we note the surging infection cases in the following locations:
- California: 387%
- Pennsylvania: 242.9%
- New Jersey: 241.5%
- New York: 231.2%
- Massachusetts: 156.9%
- Puerto Rico: 59.24%.
Wall Street summary for November 23, 2020,
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 29,591.27, up 327.79 points, or 1.12%
- The Standard & Poor’s 500 closed at 3,577.59, up 20.05 points, or 0.56%.
- The Nasdaq Composite Index closed at 11,854.97, up 25.66 points, or 0.22%.
- The Birling Puerto Rico Stock Index closed at 1,902.91, down 5.29 points, or 0.28%.
- The U.S. Treasury 10-year note closed higher at 0.86%
- The U.S. Treasury 2-year note closed at 0.16%