Sunday, December 4, 2022

How to help Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria?

By on September 23, 2017

SAN JUAN — Lack of power and water; severe communications problems; almost 15,000 refugees; landslides, flooding, hundreds of blocked roads, thousands of fallen trees, damaged homes and buildings everywhere, and 10 confirmed deaths as of this writing.

These are just some of the damages left by the passage of Hurricane Maria on Wednesday over Puerto Rico.

For this reason —and for not knowing yet the magnitude of the damages caused— Gov. Ricardo Rosselló urged people abroad who wish to help the island to channel their aid through the Federal Affairs Administration of Puerto Rico (Prfaa) office in Washington, D.C.

The phones of Prfaa are: 202-800-3133 and 202-800-3134.

“They can find information and offer to volunteer, donate, find resources for Puerto Rico,” among other actions, said the governor on Saturday.

Gov. Rosselló asked Puerto Ricans living in the mainland U.S. not to travel to the island now, unless they are volunteers, because airport services have yet to be fully restored, while communication is still affected.

For this reason, even if they have not been able to communicate with family members living on the island, traveling here could affect the rescue and emergency work still being carried out in various parts of Puerto Rico.

For his part, Public Affairs Secretary Ramón Rosario Cortés, added that they can also make donations or help through the webpages or

In addition, the government has authorized an ATH Móvil account to which transfers can be made through 787-552-9141, or through Pay Pal at There is also a bank account at First Bank (#01085019110).

You must be logged in to post a comment Login