Thursday, December 8, 2022

Liberty wins Speedtest Award for fastest fixed network in Puerto Rico

By on April 15, 2019

Increased its Speed Score from last year, when it won as well

SAN JUAN – Internet service provider Liberty is Puerto Rico’s Ookla Speedtest Awards Winner for fixed network speed during the third and fourth quarters of 2018. To win this award, Liberty achieved a Speed Score of 47.08, with top download speeds of 115.04 megabits per second (Mbps) and top upload speeds of 14.74 Mbps.

Other local internet service providers achieved the following Speed Scores:, 8.84; OSNet Wireless, 6.87; DM Wireless, 6.71; and Claro, 6.34. Liberty won in the island last year as well, with a 29.98 score.

Liberty Puerto Rico is a subsidiary of Liberty Latin America and had about 738,600 revenue generating units accross the island as of Dec. 31.

“At Ookla, we are pleased to recognize Liberty Puerto Rico as the ISP with the Fastest Fixed Network in Puerto Rico for a second year in a row,” Jamie Steven, executive vice president of operations at Ookla, said in a press release. “Liberty not only showed an outstanding ISP performance during Q3-Q4 2018, but also surpassed their Speed Score from the prior year by a significant margin.”

Speedtest Award winners are determined using a Speed Score that incorporates a measure of each provider’s download and upload speeds, where 90 percent of the final score is attributed to download speed and the remaining 10 percent to upload speed.

The awards are based on consumer-initiated tests taken across Speedtest applications and “represent real world network performance and the internet speeds operators provide to their customers,” according to Ookla, which found that during Q2-Q3 2018, the average download speed over fixed broadband in the U.S. was 95.25 Mbps, while average upload speed was 32.88 Mbps.

The Speedtest Award is based on analysis by Ookla of nearly 2.2 million Speedtests by consumers in Puerto Rico during the last six months of 2018.

“Winning Ookla’s Speedtest Award as the internet provider in Puerto Rico with the fastest fixed network for the second year in a row is a validation of all the hard work that we have carried out to upgrade our network in recent years, even before the hurricanes hit Puerto Rico,” said Naji Khoury, president and CEO of Liberty Puerto Rico. “After the hurricanes, we increased our efforts to optimize our broadband network so we could provide higher Internet speeds, capacity and consistency, and thus accommodate our customers’ growing demand for bandwidth. Receiving this distinction for a second time means we are headed in the right direction.”

Speedtest by Ookla analyses more than 10 million tests a day across its platforms, “with over 23 billion completed to date.”

The U.S. as a whole was ranked seventh in the world for download speed, between Hungary and Switzerland, and 27th for upload during Q2-Q3 2018.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login