Market for roundup Oct. 28
The U.S. and European stock markets fell sharply as COVID-19 cases soaring in both parts of the world. France imposed further restrictions as cases rose a whopping 119% in the last 30 days.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average saw a 943.24-point drop, or 3.43%, and the top stocks fell as follows:
- UnitedHealth Group closed at $307.88, fell 3.94%.
- The Home Depot closed at $272.39, fell 1.61%.
- Salesforce.com closed at $241.75, fell 3.42%.
- Amgen closed at $215.00, fell 3.79%.
- McDonald’s closed at $214.60, fell 3.75%.
- Goldman Sachs closed at $190.48, fell 2.66%.
- Honeywell International, closed at $161.19, fell 3.33%
- 3M, closed at $158.38, fell 1.65%
The S&P 500 saw 95% of the stocks that make up the index drop more than 3.53%, with top stocks falling as follows:
- Apple Inc (AAPL) closed at $111.72, fell 4.19%.
- Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) closed at $203.10, fell 4.76%.
- Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) closed $3,175.70, fell 3.37%.
- Facebook Inc. (FB) closed $274.30, fell 3.17%.
- Alphabet Inc. (GOOG) closed at $1530.75, fell 4.58%.
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) closed at $200.96, fell 2.86%.
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) closed at $138.00, fell 3.6%.
- Procter & Gamble (PG) closed at $137.45, fell 3.45%.
- Visa Inc (V) closed at $182.68, fell 3.88%.
In the eurozone, the Stoxx 600 fell 3%, closing 6% from its high and its lowest since May. The German and Italian markets were the worst performers in the region.
Wall Street Recap
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 26,519.95, down 943.24 points, or 3.43%.
- The Standard & Poor’s 500 closed at 3,271.03, down 119.65 points, or 3.53%.
- The Nasdaq Composite Index closed at 11,004.87, down 426.48 points, or 3.73%.
- The Birling Puerto Rico Stock Index closed at 1,611.20, down 53.56 points, or 3.32%
- The U.S. Treasury 10-year note closed at 0.79%.
- The U.S. Treasury 2-year note closed at 0.16%.