Ports Authority Recovers Several Puerto Nuevo Zone Piers
Six Transshipment Vessels Have Used The Terminals Since August
SAN JUAN — Puerto Rico Ports Authority Executive Director Joel Píza highlighted on Wednesday the operational success of the Puerto Nuevo Ports Zone terminals M, N and O after the public corporation recovered these piers five months ago.
“As a result of the historic transaction in August, the Ports Authority has so far received six transshipment vessels from five different operators at these now public terminals,” Pizá said in a news release. “After one year has passed in August 2021, this will represent about $800,000 in additional revenue for the Ports Authority,” Pizá said.
Those terminals, Pizá explained, have been designated to be the platform for the “car carriers” whose units are sent to other destinations after their arrival in the island. This week alone, he added, some 4,000 motor vehicles have arrived via those terminals.
During the first year of operations (August 2020 to August 2021) the Ports Authority expects to receive 24 vessels from the five car carrier operators using the facilities, Pizá noted.
The Ports director further explained that thanks to the recovery of these docks, the public corporation is positioning the terminals as vehicle-transfer facilities as they have about 19 acres available to store units.
“Gov. Wanda Vázquez and the Ports Authority are committed to the diversity in operations at the Puerto Nuevo piers and ensuring uninterrupted service of maritime cargo and storage services on our piers, thus promoting commercial competitiveness in this type of service and further ensuring our food security in the event of an emergency,” Pizá concluded.